Dalai Lama advises, “In dealing with those who are undergoing great suffering, if you feel burnout setting in, if you feel demoralized and exhausted, it is best, for the sake of everyone, to withdraw and restore yourself. The point is to have a long-term perspective.”
Being the caregiver in the family is indeed a noble job. However, this does not mean that you have to stop caring for yourself. You have to acknowledge that you are a human and that you have your own needs too. Intrinsic Home Care, Inc. lists down some life-enhancing activities every family caregiver should revel in.
- Get your body moving. We are not talking about doing laundry or cooking food for your ailing loved one. What we are referring to is go out and do some physical activities. Engaging in physical activities offer plenty of health benefits. It bolsters your immune system and it relieves stress. Take a break for a day to go on hiking. It is not only a great form of exercise, but it also lets you connect with nature.
- Hang out with family or friends. Several studies posit that family caregivers are at more at risk of developing depression. They spend most of their days tending to their loved one’s needs. This is not a bad thing, but it becomes bad when they make their world revolve around taking care of their loved one. They forget about themselves. They shut people out and isolate themselves away from other people. Take some time off and invite your family or friends for a get-together.
- Take up a new class. What are your interests? Are there some things you wish you knew how to do, like baking a cake for example? This is the right time to learn it. Taking up a class that you like enables you to reconnect with yourself. It also gives you something to look forward to.
- Treat yourself to a spa. Family caregivers have so many things going on their plate. You have many obligations and responsibilities to fulfill. The result? Fatigue. Insomnia. Illness. How do you expect to completely execute your role as a caregiver? This is why taking a break is necessary. Stress can do negative effects on your body. Find some ways to manage your stress. Going to a spa or a massage parlor can help you relieve your stress.
- Travel! Go to new places and meet new friends. Stop worrying about your loved one even for a couple of days. Seeing magnificent landscapes and interacting with incredible people will help you acquire a positive perspective. It allows you to think clearly and establish more ways on how to effectively take care of your loved one.
With Intrinsic Home Care, Inc., you do not have to worry about leaving your loved one for a little while. We got your back. We offer Companion Care in Illinois. We also provide for other Home Care Services. For inquiries, do not hesitate to contact 312-967-3177/219-961-2560.